SKIP navigation

1098T NEWS - 1098T are being printed and will be in the mail by the following week. Students can view their 1098Ts online via mavlink. Please click here for instructions on how to view your 1098T online.

Please note: the Cashiering/Student Accounts staff are not tax advisors and therefore cannot provide any assistance on how to use this form. We can only provide you with information about what we are required to report on the 1098T. Please consult your tax preparer for any 1098T tax related questions.

If you do have questions with the information on your 1098T, please submit a request form and we will respond in a timely manner. Thank you!

For US Citizens, your SSN is required to process a 1098T. Please stop by the Registrar's office and show your SSN card to update our records. Reminder emails have been sent to the accounts of the students without a SSN on file. Non US citizens that have an Individual Taxpayer ID Number can also submit those to the Registrar's office and can be used to process a 1098T.

Non-Resident Nebraska Income Tax Tuition Credit

Thank you for your interest in the Non-resident tuition credit offered to Nebraska taxpayers. The following is a summary of the credit and its application process.

The credit applies to any non-resident student who works in Nebraska and pays Nebraska income taxes. Students may also use their parents’ tax liability if they are claimed as a dependent on their parents' Federal Tax Return, or in the case of divorce/custody situations they may still be eligible if they can provide sufficient documentation supporting residence with the Nebraska taxpayer. The credit is to be considered an entitlement, not to be confused with the UNO Advantage Scholarship. There are no minimum GPA or class rank requirements. The credit is meant to offer a tuition break to non-resident students. It may not be used to lower tuition rates below the normal charge for resident students. The total allowable credit can be used by only one student per household, or split between all students from the same household.

If the credit for the first term exceeds the allowable amount, any carryover will automatically be used for the following term within the same academic year. A student will need to file only one application per academic year. The tax credit will take priority over the UNO Advantage Scholarship. A student who is eligible for both will need to exhaust all of their tax credit before taking advantage of the scholarship.

An application form for the tax credit can be picked up at the Cashiering/Student Accounts office. The form is also available on our website at It needs to be completed in full and returned to the Cashiering/Student Accounts office along with all applicable federal and state tax returns. Students who are claimed as dependents on their parents’ returns may use their parents’ taxes paid in addition to or instead of their own. These students should also include their parents’ tax forms. Students who are considered a dependent of the parent they are not residing with may use the residing parent’s taxes if they can show proof that they live with the Nebraska taxpayer instead of parent claiming residency.

Any questions concerning the Non-resident Nebraska Income Tax Tuition Credit may be addressed to the Cashiering/Student Accounts office. Please call us at 402-554-2324 or stop in with questions.

05-06I plan on attending the Fall 2015, Spring 2016 or Summer 2016 term.

05-06I plan on attending the Fall 2014, Spring 2015 or Summer 2015 term.

QuestionsI have a question regarding the Non-Resident Nebraska Income Tax Tuition Credit.

Back to Top


Important Tax Information

1098T Forms

The University of Nebraska will generate and mail 1098T forms to all students who were enrolled during the Tax Year that just ended. The forms will be mailed by January 31st to the student's permanent address unless a billing address has been specified.

Per IRS regulations, institutions must select whether they will report qualified payments received in box 1, or qualified tuition and fees billed in box 2 of the 1098T form. The University has elected to report based on qualified tuition and fees billed, and therefore completes box 2 of the 1098T form.

Box 2 will show the qualified tuition and fees, less any related reductions in charges that were billed during the tax year. The amount in box 2 may represent an amount other than the amount actually paid during the tax year against the appropriate charges. Please consult the IRS publications listed above and your tax advisor for help in determining amounts you may be able to claim.

Box 5 will show all qualified scholarships and grants that appeared on your billing statement for those terms during the tax year.

View Your 1098T Information

1098T Summary and Detail information can be viewed online via MavLINK. Please click here for instructions on how to view your 1098T online.

As required by FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act), the University of Nebraska at Omaha cannot provide this information directly to parents, other persons who may claim the student as a dependent, or tax preparers.

If you have questions regarding the information on your 1098T, please click here to submit a request form. You will receive a response within 2-3 business days. Thank you.

Education Tax Credits and Deductions

The University of Nebraska at Omaha cannot provide tax advice. Each student and/or their parents must determine eligibility for the tuition and fees deduction or one of the education credits (American Opportunity Credit, Hope or Lifetime Learning Credit).

For information on the education tax credits and deductions, you may check the following resources which can be found at or contact the IRS for telephone assistance, including requesting forms and publications, at 1-800-829-1040.

IRS Publications

Publication 970 (PDF), Tax Benefits for Higher Education

Form 8863 and Instructions (PDF), Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits)

Form W-9

Back to Top

1098E Forms

The 1098E form verifies the amount of interest paid on student loans. The form will be mailed from your student loan lender. If you received a Federal Perkins Loan from UNO and paid interest on your loan during the Tax Year just ended, then you will receive a 1098E form from our billing service, AMS Servicing Group (AMS). Keep in mind that the 1098E form from AMS will reflect only the interest paid on your Perkins Loan from UNO. It is possible that you will receive several 1098E forms - - one from each of your student loan lenders.

Back to Top